Choosing The Right Marijuana Defense Lawyer
Around the country, marijuana laws are in flux. Many states are providing legal accommodation for medical marijuana or at the very least for products such as CBD oil. And in other states, recreational marijuana use is looked on increasingly favorably.
But as the laws change, there remains a lot of murk—and it’s still entirely possible for you, your son, or your daughter to get pulled over by the police and arrested for marijuana possession. If this happens to you, it’s important to know your rights and to mount a strong legal defense. That means finding a local lawyer with specific experience working in marijuana-related issues.
Not all marijuana defense attorneys are created equal, however—so what should you know about choosing the right one? Here are a few tips to keep in mind.
Look in the Right Place
First and foremost, it’s important to keep your search local. You don’t necessarily want to farm this out to a big, national firm; rather, you want someone who has experience dealing with marijuana laws in your own community.
There are a couple of reasons for this. One is simply that marijuana laws are very much in flux—and they can vary greatly from one locality to the next. You need someone who understands your state’s marijuana laws (and how those laws are enforced) with real nuance. Additionally, a local firm is going to offer you a higher level of personal attention and care, which national firms can’t always match.
Consider the Right Criteria
As you sort through potential lawyers, it’s vital to have a clear set of criteria in mind. Some of the must-haves for any marijuana defense lawyer include:
- It’s important to seek experience with cannabis laws. Before hiring any attorney, ask them to detail their experience defending people on marijuana-related cases.
- Inquire about professional affiliations, too. That is, ask if the lawyer is a member of any marijuana legal group, which is always a good indicator of their investment to the field.
- Ask the attorney how he or she would defend your case—and ask for a frank assessment of how strong they think your case really is. Seek an attorney who’s willing to be positive but also candid with you.
These are just a few of the ways in which you can ensure that you’re selecting a truly first-rate marijuana defense attorney.
Ask the Right Questions
Finally, before you hire any defense lawyer, it’s always important to interview them and to ask any questions that are on your mind. Some particularly helpful things to ask, in addition to some of the issues we raised above, include:
- How much do you charge for your services?
- Can you provide any references or testimonials from past clients?
- How long have you been a lawyer? How long have you worked in marijuana law?
- How many drug possession cases do you work each year?
- Have you worked cases that are similar to mine?
These questions can all help you ensure the attorney you pick is a good fit for your case.
Find a Defense Attorney in Austin
There’s a lot to think about as you seek the best local defense lawyer, and we’re here to answer any questions you may have.
Davis-Jones Law is a seasoned defense law firm serving Austin and beyond. We have worked a wide variety of cannabis-related cases and would love to talk with you about the details of yours.
To speak with a member of our firm, reach out to our office today.