It’s hard to imagine anything more traumatic, more nightmarish, more despair-inducing than to be stuck in your home with a known domestic abuser. Unfortunately, domestic abuse is an all too common offense. And, during the age of COVID-19, abuse victims have faced a tougher scenario than ever before, with limited options for escaping from their abuser.
But just because you’re quarantined with someone who’s prone to violence, that doesn’t mean you’re out of options. A domestic violence attorney can help connect you with the resources you need to remain safe and ultimately to bring your abuser to justice.
We invite you to learn more about the role of the domestic violent crime lawyer, particularly during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Why Hire a Domestic Violence Lawyer During COVID-19?
The simple reality is that domestic abusers can be anywhere and everywhere. Sometimes, they are the people you’d least expect to be violent or oppressive.
And now, thanks to strictly enforced quarantines, many people (particularly women and children) have no way to escape from their abusers; they don’t even have a reprieve to go to work or to school, and their abuser is similarly home-bound. This has naturally led many to despair.
But even during these dark times, there are domestic violence attorneys who can assist you in finding help or getting into a shelter that’s still open, even in the midst of a pandemic. One of these attorneys may very well save your life.
Meeting with a Domestic Violence Attorney During COVID-19
The question is, how can you find a domestic violence lawyer and hold a meeting during the quarantine?
- A good starting point is to reach out to any trusted friends or family members… specifically, anyone you know who is aware of your situation and who you trust to offer confidential help. Ask if they know of a good lawyer or can help you track one down.
- If there is a shelter or non-profit in your community that helps victims of domestic abuse, reach out to them and ask for a legal recommendation. You can do this anonymously if you wish.
- If nothing else, you can use Google to find a domestic violent crime lawyer. Be sure to set your browser to private mode if you’re worried your abuser will follow your trail.
- Pay attention to online reviews, which can often convey a great deal about the trustworthiness of a particular lawyer.
- Most lawyers are now offering consultations on a strictly online basis, meaning you can talk with a lawyer from home without having to break quarantine.
What About Domestic Violence Defense Attorneys?
It should be said that, while domestic violence is always something to be taken seriously, there are also occasions where people are accused of violence on false or spurious grounds. Everyone deserves a fair defense, and to that end, domestic violence defense lawyers are also working through COVID-19. Reach out to someone who can represent your case and help you clear your name against wrongful allegations.
Connect with an Attorney Today
Coronavirus has changed many aspects of our lives and our culture, and that includes the practice of law. One thing that hasn’t changed is that those who need legal defense against abusers can get it. And here in Austin, one of the top domestic violence lawyers is Davis-Jones Law.
We are here to help you with your case as needed and are happy to offer our services in whatever way you’re most comfortable with… including remote consultations. To learn more about our representation in domestic violence cases, reach out to Davis-Jones Law Firm today.