When you hire an Austin DWI lawyer, you don’t just want someone who will sit beside you in court and take up space. You want someone who will actually work vigorously on your behalf, developing a strategy to have the charges dropped or minimized. You want someone who will fight passionately for you, and advocate in the most effective way possible.
In short, you want the best Austin DWI attorney you can get… but how can you know for sure when you’ve found that person?
Signs You’ve Found the Right DWI Attorney in Austin
- Your attorney has ample experience in DWI cases. You wouldn’t want an eye doctor performing your open-heart surgery, and in much the same way, you wouldn’t want a real estate lawyer handling your DWI case. Instead, look for an Austin DWI attorney who has worked in this field for many years, and devotes a high percentage of their practice to working with DWI cases.
- Your attorney knows the local judges, prosecutors, and court systems. Sometimes, getting a desirable verdict for your case isn’t about fighting for a “win,” but rather about negotiating the best deal. This can only happen if you have an attorney who’s fostered good relationships within the legal community, and who knows how to secure terms that are advantageous for their clients.
- Your attorney has a clear idea of how to defend you. There are a number of ways in which an attorney might mount a legal defense on your behalf. They could argue that the police obtained evidence in a fraudulent way, such as an improperly administered breathalyzer test. They could argue that your rights were not properly upheld when you were first arrested, and thus that the entire case should be thrown out. There are any number of ways in which an attorney might defend you, so make sure you have a lawyer who can clearly articulate their strategy.
- Your attorney communicates clearly and honestly. A good lawyer won’t evade hard questions, and they won’t fill you with false hope. They’ll be real with you about some of the consequences you might face and about some of the worst-case outcomes. But they will also balance their realism with some hope, offering you ways in which they are going to fight for the best possible outcome.
- Your attorney is easy to reach. You’re naturally going to have some questions about the legal process, and you might even have some days where you just need to be reassured. A good attorney will be available to talk to you as needed, responding promptly to your messages, phone calls, and emails.
- Your attorney is doing most of the work. Be skeptical of lawyers who put their name on the marquee, but then don’t seem to handle any of the actual case work. If you hire an attorney to represent you, it’s reasonable for you to expect that attorney to handle your case work for you, as opposed to outsourcing all the nitty-gritty to some paralegal or attorney you’ve never met.
Find the Right DWI Lawyers in Austin, TX
Don’t settle for just anyone to be your legal representative. Make sure you find a team of highly qualified DWI lawyers in Austin, TX. Davis-Jones Law Firm fits that description. If you’ve had drunk driving charges brought against you, we’d love to stand in your corner. Let’s talk together about your case, and about the benefits of our expertise. To make an appointment with a DWI attorney in Austin, reach out to Davis-Jones Law Firm today.